Money does matter, so here are some guidelines to make your money matters smooth when you are exploring the exotic island nation of Mauritius:
- The Mauritian rupee is used in Mauritius.
- Banking services, foreign exchange, ATM machines are available at the airport on arrival and departure. Do exchange some money into rupees on arrival at the airport.
- ATM’s are widely available in most towns in the island and at large shopping centres. Major credit and debit cards are accepted by most hotels, restaurants and large retailers.
- Always convert the currency bit by bit than converting everything you have at one go. Every major attraction has one or two exchange agencies, so currency conversion is not a big headache in Mauritius.
- US dollars is widely accepted in Mauritius, so you can carry those as well!
- The daily limit of withdrawing money varies from bank to bank. Check with your bank regarding the amount you can withdraw in a day.